Sunday, October 3, 2010

Druidry has been deemed a Religion in the UK

Click Here for Article

Am I the only person who finds this ironic?  That a religion which is centuries (maybe millennia) older than Christianity has to get permission from someone else before it is recognized as a religion?

I am not a Druid myself, though I have great respect for their ways, and I have to wonder what self important person decided that religions weren't officially religions unless there was some kind of unanimous vote?  I mean, Scientology is considered a religion in most places now, and it is like a day-old infant in comparison to Christianity, Druidism (Druidry, Druidity?  Is there an official form for this word?  Please inform me), Shamanism, etc.

When it comes to faith, I really don't see how it can be up to a committee or a handful of people with money backing them to decide what is a religion and what isn't.

Hell, if you wanted to put a spoon in the ground and call it your God, by all means, practice your religion in any way you see fit.  I'm not going to tell you that it isn't a religion, and that because of this, it isn't eligible for any added perks or benefits that come from being recognized.

In some ways, this makes me sad.  When did the naming of religions turn into debates on income, whether or not that income is taxed, and whether or not that income is for profit or not? 

And I wonder about these things:

**If TV Evangelists can make thousands (millions?) of dollars off of their followers, and do it in the name of Christ, do they still fall under the non-profit status granted Christian churches?

**Does a religion need a centralized BUILDING in which its members worship before it can be called a religion?  (If that's the case, the Druids of the U.K. have a building which is AGES older than any of the Christian structures standing today: Stonehenge.)



What is your opinion on this subject?  Should religions have to be acknowledged by committees or by other religious peers before it's considered legitimate?  Does that religion need a building for its members to congregate in for worship?

Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment